Friday, November 18, 2011

I brought my kids to Occupy L.A. My children saw us struggle financially. I wanted them to know we're not alone -- and we can do something about it By Brett Paesel / Salon

Friday, Nov 18, 2011 4:45 AM 06:12:38 PST

I brought my kids to Occupy L.A.

My children saw us struggle financially. I wanted them to know we're not alone -- and we can do something about it

A photo of the author with her family and an Occupy Los Angeles protester
A photo of the author with her family and an Occupy Los Angeles protester
“I don’t want to get arrested,” my 7-year-old, Murphy, said as I slung our sleeping bags into the hallway. It was already 4 in the afternoon and I wanted to get down to Occupy Los Angeles and pitch our tent before sundown.
“They’re not arresting people in Los Angeles,” his brother, Spencer, said. Four years older than Murphy, Spencer has been driving his little brother wild by correcting everything he says.
I sunk into a dining room chair, pulling Murphy close so I could eyeball him. “Here’s the deal, kiddo. We’re not going to do anything that will get us arrested. If it looks like anything like that is going on, we’ll get back in the car and come home. OK?”
My mother-in-law, who had been sitting at the end of the dining room table, looked up from her book. “And I’ll be right here, if you come home.” I looked at her and felt a prickle of irritation at the base of my neck. She’d been staying with us for over a month. Why not occupy L.A. while my mother-in-law was occupying our living room?
Close
Brett Paesel is the author of "Mommies Who Drink" and is working on a new memoir, "Nonrefundable: The year my family lost everything but traveled to India anyway." More Brett Paesel

No comments:

Post a Comment